Thursday, May 3, 2007

Hebrews 2:1-4 Warning against drifting away

2:1 Therefore we must pay closer attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. 2:2 For if the message spoken through angels 1 proved to be so firm that every violation or disobedience received its just penalty, 2:3 how will we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was first communicated through the Lord and was confirmed to us by those who heard him, 2:4 while God confirmed their witness with signs and wonders and various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.
(NET)
1 The message spoken through angels refers to the OT law, which according to Jewish tradition was mediated to Moses through angels (cf. Deut 33:2; Ps 68:17-18; Acts 7:38, 53; Gal 3:19; and Jub. 1:27, 29; Josephus, Ant. 15.5.3 [15.136]).

Why do I so often toss aside Christ sacrifice of grace and salvation as if they were filthy rags? I seem to think that since grace abounds so freely it matters little what I do. I toss aside the robes righteousness that Christ provides for me so that I can indulge my sinful desires, but then I flippantly bundle myself again in the same robes to cover my naked, scarred body. Why do I treat such a great salvation as nothing. I should be more motivated to obey and please my God because of his Grace than because of his wrath.

Father, forgive my glib treatment of your grace and mercy to me. Forgive me for so often intentionally laying aside my faith for my temporary fleeting sinful desires. Help to look for the way out that you have promised me in 1 Corinthians 10:13. Change my heart to love you more deeply and desire to please you more than I desire to please my temporary passions. I surrender my life to your hands daily, Father. Amen

1 Corinthians 10:13 No trial has overtaken you that is not faced by others. And God is faithful: He will not let you be tried beyond what you are able to bear, but with the trial will also provide a way out so that you may be able to endure it.
(NET)

Scripture quoted by permission. Quotations designated (NET) are from The NETBible® Copyright© 2005 by Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C. www.bible.orgAll Rights Reserved

No comments: